Thursday, March 3, 2016

Swatch and Review: theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer, Bahama Mama, Instain Houndstooth, and Instain Swiss Dot


Several weeks ago I ordered some products by theBalm Cosmetics on Hautelook. I kinda love/hate Hautelook because the price for high-end cosmetics is crazy affordable, but the shipping time usually takes about a month and a half. 

Anyway, I decided to get the famous Mary-Lou Manizer highlighter ($24), Bahama Mama bronzer ($20), and the Instain blushes in Houndstooth and Swiss Dot.


I've heard so many great things about theBalm Cosmetics and I've always wanted to order something from them because their packaging is just way too cute!





Mary-Lou Manizer is a white gold colored highlighter that can also be used as an eyeshadow and overall shimmer.


There are also two other "Manizer sisters" -- Betty-Lou and Cindy-Lou -- which I did not purchase because I'm not a fan of shimmery bronzers or blushes.

In indoor lighting

In natural lighting

The highlighter is packaged in an average plastic compact which honestly feels a little bit cheap to me, but that's because I'm used to Becca's lovely highlighter packaging. Nevertheless, it's the product that matters, so on to the review.

Mary-Lou Manizer in indoor lighting

Mary-Lou Manizer in natural lighting

I'm actually a huge fan of this highlighter. It's not as shimmery as Becca highlighters. The shimmer is a lot more fine and isn't as reflective as Becca highlighters. While Champagne Pop is more like an in-your-face-seen-from-space highlight, I find Mary-Lou Manizer to be a lot more subtle and nicer for an everyday highlight.


I also ordered a bronzer, which, let's be real, I didn't really need but I have no self control.


Bahama Mama comes in a cardboard package with a mirror. I think it's super cute and travel friendly. 

Bahama Mama in indoor lighting

This bronzer is a matte brown with warm undertones. However, it's not too warm, so it can also be used as a contour and an eyeshadow. 

From left to right: Benefit Hoola, Too Faced Chocolate Soleil, theBalm Bahama Mama

As you can see, Hoola is the warmest while Chocolate Soleil is the coolest. Bahama Mama a shade in between Hoola and Chocolate Soleil, which is great for me because I end up mixing both Hoola and Chocolate Soleil when I'm bronzing anyway. 


The last two products I got were the Instain blushes in Houndstooth and Swiss Dot. I love how they look like magazine covers. Too cute!

Swiss Dot and Houndstooth in indoor lighting

I didn't find these to be extremely pigmented when I swatched them. It took a bit of layering to get good swatch, but it shows up well on the cheeks. I prefer buildable blushes over highly pigmented ones.

While these are buildable, these are also called Instain, which is very accurate because these blushes took work to take off. Once this is on the skin, it stays on like stain. I had to use makeup-removing oil to remove the swatches. I'm sure these will last a full day on the cheeks.



How cute are the polka dots? 

Swiss Dot in indoor lighting

Swiss Dot is a peachy-coral shade perfect for spring.




Houndstooth. I love how these blushes are named after fabric patterns. 

Houndstooth in indoor lighting

Houndstooth is a mauve blush. I was stuck between Houndstooth and Pinstripe (plum), but I decided on Houndstooth as a nice muted everyday blush.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my first experience with theBalm Cosmetics. These are beautifully packaged and there's an excellent selection of colors and products. Not to mention, these are very affordable, especially with the amount of product you get. 

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...