Monday, August 17, 2015

Swatch and Review: Kat Von D Lovecraft, Cathedral, and Lolita

EDIT: I've posted an updated version of this S&R with newer and better swatches here.

I am in love with KVD's line of lipsticks ($21). If I could, I'd have one in every color. I'm especially in love with all the dark berry colors, but I have so many of that shade that I can't afford to buy more of similar colors. Thus, I purchased some colors that I don't have in my collection yet.

I'm adoring brownish-pink nude lip colors lately, and KVD has a wonderful selection. Everyone's been raving about the Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita, which I find to be pretty similar to Cathedral. I tested out the two by applying Cathedral to one side of my lips and Lolita to the other. Honestly, I didn't see much of a difference. Cathedral has a tinge more pink to the color, while Lolita has more brown. You can see my review on Lolita liquid lipstick in my post on Sephora's Give Me Some Lip.



From left to right: Lolita liquid lipstick, Lolita Studded Kiss, Cathedral Studded Kiss, Lovecraft Studded Kiss.



Cathedral is such a close color match to Lolita, but it's slightly rosier. I think the confusion about Lolita swatches is because there are two Lolitas - one for the Everlasting Liquid Lipstick line, and one for the Studded Kiss Lipstick line. The liquid lipstick is described as "chestnut rose" while the Studded Kiss Lolita is "matte dusty rose." The Studded Kiss Lolita is definitely brighter and less brown than the liquid lipstick Lolita. I think I prefer the Studded Kiss Lolita since the liquid lipstick looks weird on my lips in different lightings. Click here to see my review and swatches on Lolita Studded Kiss.



Cathedral (left) and Lovecraft (right) are cult favorites. I have Lovecraft in the deluxe size after using my Beauty Insider 100 point perk reward. I really like the formula of it, so I went out and got Cathedral as well. The packaging for these lipsticks are amazing. I love the punk feel of the studs. It definitely adds attitude to my collection. For the smaller version, the lipstick doesn't retract all the way, so I have to be careful not to nick the tip when opening or closing the lid.


Lovecraft is "matte mauve pink nude" which comes off as frosted pink on my lips. I'm not the biggest fan of the color, but it's not the worst. The formula is extremely creamy, but drying on the lips after a while. I wore it for about a day and the color really emphasizes the dryness of my lips.


The color is very pigmented, and there's no need for more than a swipe for me.  It looks pinkish-brown on my skin, but turns out to be pink on my lips. 


I've noticed that lip colors that are too light for my natural lip end up looking frosted. It's not terrible, but not really my thing either. 


 The larger tube has the KVD logo on the lid, whereas the smaller version does not. The lipstick also has the logo imprinted on the side.


I don't know why my camera shows the color different from how it is in person. It really isn't that red. It's more of a brown-rose on me. Sephora describes it as "matte coco rose."  



I absolutely love this color. It's a lovely neutral, though it looks slightly more brown in person for me.

While I love almost everything about these lipsticks, they do tend to be a bit drying and can tug during application if your lips aren't moisturized.  I typically wear lip balm under all my lipsticks, although the color won't last as long that way. It's probably better to exfoliate and use lipliner if you want the longest wear out of them. Also, they smell like creme brûlée so I have no problem with reapplying these lipsticks. Yum.

4.7/5



5 comments:

  1. I find the Kat Von D lipsticks and liquid lipsticks all very drying >.< the line does have some beautiful shades, and my favourite is definitely Lovecraft, it's beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree about the formula. I've been using Bite's Agave Lip Mask, so it really helps with the dryness. Without it, I doubt I'd be able to pull off these lipsticks.

      Delete
  2. Hello! I am so glad I found your blog. May I know if the Lolita liquid lipstick and Cathedral studded kiss look alike when on the lips? And if you have Ofra Mocha, would you know if those two are dupes for ofra mocha? Thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment! Lolita liquid lipstick and Cathedral look nearly identical on my lips. It might not be so for people with different skin tones than me, but the shades definitely look the same for me. If I had to point out a difference, then Cathedral is ever so slightly rosier while Lolita liquid lipstick is a tiny bit more mauve. But honestly, they're nearly indistinguishable. I don't have Ofra Mocha, but Dupethat has a site that compares the two shades, so I highly recommend checking out their swatches too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...