Sunday, February 7, 2016

Review: Makeup Forever Metal Palette, Sephora Z palette, Etsy anothersoul palette

I went on a depotting craze. I regret nothing.


Sephora had Make Up For Ever's extra large empty metal palette ($14) on their website, and I thought why not?


Best decision ever.





It comes with a foam insert as well as a clear plastic cover which protects your expensive makeup products (as long as you don't destroy them in the depotting process).


So organized!


I've got my KVD eyeshadow palette, Naked palette, Clinique face powder, Hoola bronzer, Makeup Geek eyeshadows, Chocolate Soleil bronzer, a generic blush, and a mirror.

At $14, this empty palette is amazing. Z palette sells an extra large palette at double the price and it's not nearly as secure as Make Up For Ever's metal palette.


My mom even got a large one for herself. 




The large palette ($13) fits all her eyeshadows, some blushes, and e.l.f. bronzer blush duo. Her eyeshadows and blushes are over a decade old probably so I destroyed most of them and tried to fix it using alcohol. Sorry, mom.



Large vs extra large. These empty metal palettes are available on Make Up For Ever's website, though there is a shipping cost. I got the extra large palette on Sephora with free flash 2-day shipping.


I also got Sephora's baby Z palette ($10) which I find to be a lot more useful and cost effective than the small square one at $18. 


Like all of Z palette's products, it's made of a thick cardboard with a magnetic back and plastic cover.


Does not fit 3 rows of Makeup Geek eyeshadows (same size as MAC shadows).


Does not fit five columns of shadows. I'd be able to fit eight MAC sized eyeshadows with an empty edge. It's an awkward fit, but it's not like I have a bunch of round eyeshadows anyway. I'd be using this palette to hold my rectangular Naked shadows and KVD shadows, which would be a lot more space efficient.


Finally, my Etsy palette from anothersoul ($17) which I got based on a review from a grav3yardgirl youtube video. My prettiest, but most disappointing palette. I got this palette in the pattern Joséphine of Savoy. 


This palette is slightly smaller than the large Z palette. The eyeshadows in this picture are much smaller than MAC sized eyeshadows btw. It can probably fit about 15 eyeshadows. However, without something to cover the eyeshadows, there is a lot of transfer and staining onto the cover. 


The palette is made of foam cardboard with tiny magnets that keep the palette closed. It's not the most powerful of magnets, so I don't trust it much. The biggest disappointment for me is how weak the magnetic backing is. The eyeshadows don't stick strongly to the palette so I worry that they'd come flying off with too much travel or movement.


The palette is beautifully crafted though, if not slightly cheap, but you get what you pay for.


The Etsy store says this is water resistant paper, which I suppose is true. It feels like nice wallpaper. However, it stains easily as well.


So pretty, but so disappointing. I'd spend an extra few dollars on a good quality Z palette despite how pretty the designs from anothersoul are.


All the size differences top to bottom: Sephora baby Z palette ($ 10), Etsy palette ($17), MUFE large metal palette ($13), MUFE extra large palette ($14)

Sephora Z palette: 3.5/5
Etsy palette: 2/5
MUFE palettes: 5/5


1 comment:

  1. I'm late finding this post, but thank you for the helpful comparisons! I think I'll get one of the MUFE larges, plus some of the new Artiste refillables.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...