Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Swatch and Review: Besame Cosmetics 1969 Dusty Rose, 1933 Merlot, and 1946 Red Velvet Lipsticks

I am so excited to review the newest additions to my lipstick collection (someone stop me from buying more please).

I've had my eye on Besame cosmetics since they've been featured at Sephora, but I never knew they had lipsticks until recently. I've heard so many great things about their products, and I'm glad I got on board.




How perfect is their packaging? Absolutely gorgeous. I ordered two lipsticks in Merlot and Dusty Rose as well as two lipstick matchbooks of Red Velvet. The order also came with their catalog of products.


Besame Cosmetics amazes me because of how authentic they stay to vintage makeup. They've recreated not only the vintage packaging of the time period, but also the colors and even the shape of the lipstick itself.


The lipsticks come in a gold bullet-shaped case with the Besame logo. They're smaller than the average lipstick, and quite pricey for the size ($22 each). However, the formula and pigmentation definitely make it worth the cost.


The lipsticks have a blunt tip with chiseled edges which allows for easier application, according to Besame Cosmetics. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the shape. The points of the lipstick are supposed to be used to line the lips before applying with the edge. I've never been a fan of lining my lips (too lazy), so I probably won't use that feature of the lipstick.  

L to R, Red Velvet, Dusty Rose, Merlot

These colors are so amazingly pigmented. I only used one swipe for each of the swatches, and they came out beautifully. They're also super creamy when applying them. So much love for these lipsticks.


1969 Dusty Rose. This is the color that I wanted YSL's Rose Infinite to be. Except, this one is so much better. The color is gorgeous and it applies wonderfully. It's a semi-matte finish, so it doesn't dry out my lips and even keeps them slightly hydrated.

Dusty Rose in natural lighting

Dusty Rose in indoor lighting


1933 Merlot is described as "brick red." On my lips, it's a deep red with violet and brown undertones. It's like Bite Beauty's Black Cherry, but with more brown hues. I wish my camera could do the color justice. Just know that it's gorgeous.

Merlot in natural lighting

Merlot in indoor lighting


1946 Red Velvet is probably one of Besame Cosmetics' most popular shades. It's featured on Marvel's Agent Carter TV series as the main character's classic lip color. I decided to get the matchbook instead of the full lipstick because I have way too many reds in my collection and I don't want to commit to another one just yet. The design of these matchbooks is absolutely perfect. I got two of them so I could gift one to my best friend because these are clearly made to be gifted.


I love the idea of these, but they're not the best in actuality. It was rather difficult applying the color using the match. Despite the claim that each match can be used up to three times, I used up all of the color for one application so I could get even coverage. I'll try not to over apply next time.

Red Velvet in natural lighting

Red Velvet is a great color for an everyday red. It's not too bright that you can't wear it in the office, but it's also deep enough to make a statement. Definitely a great neutral red for every skin tone.

Red Velvet in indoor lighting

I can't rave enough about these lipsticks. Just go get some because you won't regret it. The colors are beautiful, the formula is perfection, and the pigmentation is excellent. Everything you expect in lipstick.

Some colors of Besame lipsticks are available on Sephora's website (not available in stores), and all of the colors are available on the Besame Cosmetics website. It's a shame that you can't swatch them unless you're at the flagship store, but Besame has a great return policy, as does Sephora, so you can buy with confidence.

4.8/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...