Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Swatch and Review: #Instamarc Light Filtering Contour Powder

I did it. I finally succumbed to buying a contouring product, even though the trend has pretty much simmered down and has been replaced with dewy highlighting/strobing. Nevertheless, I've been eyeing Marc Jacobs' contouring powder for ages now. And by ages, it's probably only been a few weeks of me pining every time I walked by Sephora. But I finally got it!




This powder is huge. Like, 9 grams each for both the highlight and the contour? This is so worth the $49 compared to other contouring powders out there. I know everyone's all about the Anastasia and Kat Von D contouring kits, but I know for a fact that I would use two, maybe three, of the six shades.


A lot of brands have been using the "filtering" gimmick for their new products, which is cool for people who like to take selfies, but I don't like taking pictures of myself (hence the reason I only have one portrait of myself on this blog). I won't comment on how well this "filters" for selfies since I really don't care about that feature of this product. 


I got the powder in the lightest shade, the mirage filter. A lot of reviews I've read suggested that I get the medium shade for my skin, but I prefer these shades. Mirage is so light and needs heavy swatching to get any pigment to show up on my tan skin, but I find that I don't mind that. I'd rather build up than have a contour be too dark.


The packaging is gorgeous. It's also very big, so I won't be able to travel with it. Seriously, it's like the size of my face. The button seems to be easily triggered, as I've noticed it popping open when I open my drawer. Again, not very travel-friendly.



BUT THE SHADES, OKAY?? This is the whole reason why I got this powder even though it's expensive, oversized, and too light for my skin tone. It's just these shades are so multipurpose that I had to have it. The highlighting shade is the perfect light yellow to set my under-eye concealer, and the contour is just the right mix of warm-neutral. It's not too warm to be a full-on bronzer, and it's not too cool to be muddy. It's just the perfect shade to be used as a contour, soft bronzer, and even eyeshadow.


The consistency of these powders is amazing. Super silky and buttery. It's almost too soft since my brushes pretty much carve themselves into the powder with just a light tap. 


Again, these shades are so light on my skin that I need to swatch pretty heavily to get a good picture, but I am perfectly A-okay with that. On my face, it's so natural and effortless to apply and blend.


The powder also came with a foldout of contour/highlight ideas in a variety of intensities depending on the occasion. 

Overall, Marc Jacobs' contouring powder is everything that I wanted in one large package without the fuss of too many shades or too little product. There were so many other contouring kits that I had considered, like Kevin Aucoin The Creamy Glow, Becca Lowlight/Highlight Perfecting Palette Pressed, and NARS Contour Blush. But this Marc Jacobs' powder just marked every checkbox for me. Perfect shades, perfect ratio of contour to highlight, and so much freaking product. This is going to last me such a long time even with all the multipurpose uses I have for it.  

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...