Thursday, September 17, 2015

Swatch and Review: Kat Von D Shade + Light Eye Contour Palette

My first S & R for eye products! I only have one eyeshadow palette that I use, and that is UD's Naked palette which I got for Christmas from my sister a few years back. I'm such an amateur when it comes to eye makeup that I use at most 4-5 of the colors in my Naked palette.

I feel like my lack of variety stems from the amount of shimmer in the Naked palette. There's only so many days I can wear shimmery, glittery eyeshadow and still feel like a grown up. I decided to invest in an all-matte palette, KVD's Shade + Light Eye Contour Palette ($46). I'm a huge fan of KVD's products, and her eyeshadow palette is everything that I could ever possibly want or need in matte eyeshadows.




The palette is in a sturdy cardboard palette with a huge mirror. Unlike the Naked palettes, the brush is sold separately.  Since I have so many eye brushes anyway, I don't find this to be too much of a loss.


The color selection is amazing! I love how easy it is to combine and coordinate the colors.


Wicked sounding names for these colors, and I'm not going to attempt to pronounce them.



Here's the best part about this palette: the shadows are divided into three different quads, which makes it so much easier for amateurs like myself to create eyeshadow looks. The first is a neutral quad, though I consider it to be more neutral-warm. The second is a cool tone quad, and the last is a warm quad, which I know will be getting a lot of love this upcoming fall. Each quad is also divided into shades to contour, define, and highlight. The largest of the shades are base colors that are great for transitioning.


The palette also includes a guide on how to create certain looks for specific eye shapes.


These colors are super rich and pigmented. There's a lot of fallout when handling these colors, but the color payoff and easy-to-blend formula makes up for it.


This is the first quad with a base color and three other shadows to create depth using contouring, definition, and highlight. Again, super easy to use color combinations.


This is the cool tone quad. The contour and definition shades are intensely dark, so I tend to not use these as much for everyday looks.


This is my favorite quad. The colors are so rich and warm. A little bit goes a long way for these shades, so you only need to dab your brush in just a little to get a pigmented look.

Overall, these shades are so beautiful, rich, and so easy to blend. The design of the palette is wonderful for beginners and advanced makeup artists alike. I think this is such a great investment for someone looking for the perfect matte palette with everything you need.

4.9/5 (took off a teeny point because of the amount of fallout I get when dipping my brush)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...